Don’t Sell Me, Tell Me is a short book encouraging business owners to use stories as part of their marketing toolbox. These ideas are reminiscent of what Lisa Cron says in Wired for Story, but reworked for a business audience. Koorhan says:
We are predisposed to learn from stories. “Tell me a story” is a familiar phrase to most parents. “Teach me a lesson” is said by no children.
Avid fiction readers know a lot of this information, either from reading Lisa Cron, or other fiction teachers, or from their own intuition. But there is a large group of people who won’t read fiction, because it’s just stories. And stories aren’t real. That’s true. But it ignores another truth: that we learn better from stories than from bland facts, because stories make us feel.
This is important for anyone who owns a business, or who works in marketing or communication. We can use stories to tell people about our business and our brand. People relate to stories, so we can use our stories as a subtle way of showing our target clients they can relate to us.
There is a lot of good information in Don’t Sell Me, Tell Me.
There are also some exercises to help you find your brand stories and brand voice. Koorhan also touches briefly on Carl Jung’s twelve archetypes (for a more in-depth understanding of how to use archetypes in building your author brand, I recommend Author Branding by Rayne Hall).
Overall, Don’t Sell Me, Tell Me is a short and easy-to-read book which demonstrates the importance of story, and gives some great tips for finding and telling your brand stories.
Thanks to the author for providing a free ebook for review.
About Don’t Sell Me, Tell Me
You cannot underestimate the power of a good story.
Learn how to apply the fundamentals of storytelling to your business and you can uplift, inspire and connect to the hearts of your audience. You can move them to tears, to laughter, and most important, you can move them to action!
Packed with advice you can put to use right away, you’ll learn how to keep your audience eager and ready to hear from you.
- What pragmatic and actionable tactics will you learn?
- How to quickly communicate your unique value.
- The secret to connecting with the emotions of your desired audience.
- The foolproof method for standing apart from your competition.
- The most common marketing mistakes even smart business owners make and how to avoid them.
- The singular best way to create an authentic, consistent brand.
Also the following insights:
- The 4 critical elements you must have in place to keep your audience engaged.
- Six different ways you can use stories in your business.
- A step-by-step guide for finding your most powerful brand voice.
- How to structure a story so that your audience feels compelled to listen.
PLUS, examples to jumpstart the process!
Here’s what this book ISN’T: this isn’t about picking new colors, redesigning your logo or developing your website. This is about building a consistent, unique and authentic brand that attracts your most profitable customers.
Find Don’t Sell Me, Tell Me online at:
Read the introduction of Don’t Sell Me, Tell Me below:
Subscribe to my monthly newsletter and receive an exclusive guide to publishers specializing in Christian fiction.